If you have unexpectedly lost a loved one to someone else’s negligent or intentional act, the Memphis wrongful death lawyers of Cory Watson Attorneys will help you through this emotionally challenging time. It’s our job to handle every step of your case, so you can focus on mending your life.
To find out how we can help, contact our team today at (901) 402-2000 or fill out our case evaluation form. We offer 100% free, no-obligation case reviews, and you only pay us if we win. Our Memphis office is conveniently located on the corner of Court Ave and North 4th Street (only a few blocks north of AutoZone Park).
How Can a Wrongful Death Attorney Help Your Case?
Some wrongful death cases are straightforward, as the liable party is quickly evident. But other cases are more complicated, and it can be a challenge to figure out how the incident unfolded.
Wrongful death attorneys will meticulously investigate various sources to determine what transpired during the event that caused your loved one’s death. Furthermore, they can help by:
- Filing all the necessary paperwork required to start your wrongful death claim within the deadline.
- Accessing experts such as medical doctors, private investigators, and an accident reconstructionist if required to build your case.
- Using investigators to collect evidence such as photographs, video surveillance footage, medical reports, the police report, and more.
- Strategically presenting the evidence to clearly demonstrate negligence on the defendant’s part and depict the full extent of the sustained damages.
- Interviewing witnesses and collecting statements from them
- Communicating and negotiating with the liable party’s insurance provider and/or lawyer on your behalf
- Representing you in court if your case fails to reach a favorable settlement
- Providing you with legal guidance during a vulnerable time where you are grieving and may not want to navigate the legal system alone
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Memphis, call 877-562-0000
You Can Recover These Damages in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
The survivors of the deceased may be eligible to recover three types of damages depending on the facts surrounding the wrongful death case: economic, non-economic, and punitive.
Economic damages: This type of damage covers monetary losses suffered by the decedent and the survivors. The compensation may help pay medical expenses, funeral costs, property damage, and more. Economic damages cover:
- Medical costs associated with the incident that caused the deceased’s death.
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Loss of earning capacity between the deceased’s injury and death.
- Loss of the deceased’s earning potential.
- Loss of the pecuniary value of the deceased’s life. This may include lost insurance and retirement benefits.
Non-economic damages: This refers to non-tangible damages that the victim’s survivors had to suffer because of the loved one’s sudden death. Assigning value to these damages can be tough, but a wrongful death attorney will be able to use their experience on similar cases to identify a fair compensation amount. Non-economic damages cover:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of companionship
- Physical and mental suffering experienced by the victim before their death
- Loss of guidance, love, and protection from the deceased
Punitive damages: This type of compensation can be pursued if your loved one’s death resulted from someone else’s gross negligence, such as drunk driving. Tennessee law states that to be awarded punitive damages, the plaintiff must demonstrate that the defendant acted “maliciously, intentionally, fraudulently or recklessly.” Punitive damages are only awarded in scarce circumstances, as per TNCode § 29-39-104.
A wrongful death attorney will be able to investigate all the different aspects and nuances of your case. They will establish an accurate compensation estimate that reflects the full extent of damages sustained by the deceased and the survivors.
Memphis Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
You Have Limited Time to Pursue Wrongful Death Compensation
TN Code § 28-3-104 states that surviving members have one year from the date of the victim’s death to file a wrongful death lawsuit against those responsible. You may risk having the case dismissed by the court if you wait to initiate a lawsuit after the mentioned timeframe.
Furthermore, since some types of evidence are time-sensitive, it is recommended to consider seeking legal action as soon as possible. That way, the attorney has enough time to tap into their Rolodex of experts and gather sufficient evidence to build a solid case.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Memphis, Tennessee?
UnderTN Code § 20-5-107, only specific individuals are legally eligible to file a lawsuit:
- The spouse of the deceased
- If there is no surviving spouse, the deceased’s child or next of kin
- The deceased’s parent
- The deceased’s personal representative
Moving Forward with Cory Watson
Financial compensation can help alleviate the burdens of funeral expenses, lost wages, and unpaid medical bills. A wrongful death lawsuit can help ensure that those responsible for your loved one’s death are held accountable for their negligence.
If you have lost a loved one, we sympathize with your situation, and you can lean on us for the support you need. Our team of lawyers understands the sensitive nature of Memphis wrongful death lawsuits and will handle your case with the compassion it deserves.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Our Memphis Wrongful Death Attorneys
If you’ve suffered the tragic loss of a loved one due to someone else’s misconduct, we want to do everything in our power to help secure your future by pursuing fair compensation. The lawyers at Cory Watson Attorneys are ready to fight for you. Call (901) 402-2000 or fill out our free initial consultation form.
As a leading national injury law firm, we serve clients throughout Tennessee and the United States. Contact us today and take the first step toward protecting your family’s legal rights.
Memphis Office Location254 Court Avenue, Suite 511
Memphis, TN 38103 (901) 479-0227