Motorcycle accidents can be particularly severe, and riders can sustain painful, traumatic, and life-threatening injuries. Motorcyclists are not afforded the same protection as the occupants of other vehicles. They are often obscured by surrounding traffic due to their small size and tendency to be overlooked in blind spots.
If you got hurt in a motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence, the Bartlett motorcycle accident lawyers at Cory Watson Attorneys can help. Contact our personal injury law firm today to learn how we can help you pursue your case for fair compensation for your losses.
How Our Bartlett Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Help Riders
Unfortunately, motorcyclists have been stigmatized for decades, primarily due to the media and the stereotype of bikers as dangerous and reckless. This can lead to discrimination against riders—many believe they may be more likely to cause accidents. However, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), other motorists turning into the motorcyclist’s path cause about one-third of multivehicle motorcycle accidents.
The legal professionals at Cory Watson Attorneys understand the stigma motorcycle riders face and are ready to advocate for your rights. Tasks that we handle while pursuing compensation on your behalf include:
- Investigating your accident: Your attorney will investigate the accident to determine who was at fault and gather evidence. This may involve examining the accident scene, studying police and accident reports, and questioning witnesses.
- Assessing damages: Your lawyer will help you evaluate the scope of your losses, including medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and other related expenses.
- Negotiating with the insurer: Your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance companies for a fair settlement covering your injuries and damages.
- Filing a lawsuit: Your lawyer can file a lawsuit and represent you in court if necessary if you and the other parties cannot reach a settlement.
- Providing legal advice: Your lawyer will provide legal advice and direction throughout the legal process, including explaining your legal rights and helping you make well-informed decisions.
A Bartlett motorcycle accident lawyer’s primary goal is to help you recover physically and financially after a motorcycle accident. We will work exhaustively to ensure our clients receive the compensation they deserve and protect their legal rights.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Bartlett, call 877-562-0000
How Much Is Your Bartlett Motorcycle Accident Worth?
In Tennessee, you might be able to claim the following damages in a personal injury case:
- Medical expenses: You can pursue compensation for all the financial losses you incurred due to your injury. These include hospital bills, doctor visits, prescription medication, rehab, and other related costs.
- Lost income: If you had to take time off work due to your injury, you might be entitled to damages for lost income.
- Reduced earning capacity: Due to physical limitations, you may be unable to perform at your current job for a significant amount of time. These damages compensate for future loss of wages and reduced earnings you may be facing due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: You may be entitled to damages for physical pain and emotional anguish the injury causes.
- Scarring and disfigurement: Severe injuries can result in significant scars that may be long-lasting or permanent.
- Property damage: If you suffered property damage in the accident, you could claim compensation for repairs or replacement costs above what you receive from insurance policy limits.
In some cases, you may be able to claim punitive (exemplary) damages if the at-fault party’s behavior was particularly reckless or wanton.
The compensation you can claim will depend on the specific details of your case, including the injury’s severity and the number of damages. When you consult a personal injury attorney, they can assess your options, identify your damages, and help you determine the most appropriate course of action.
How Long Do You Have to File a Lawsuit?
In Tennessee, the statute of limitations deadline for a personal injury lawsuit is one year from the injury date, per TN Code § 28-3-104. Parties who want to file a wrongful death lawsuit generally have one year from the decedent’s death date.
Moreover, if you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, you must file a lawsuit within one year of the accident date unless you qualify for an exception. You might lose your right to pursue compensation if you miss the deadline. For this reason, consulting with a Bartlett motorcycle accident attorney promptly after an accident is essential to protecting your legal rights.
Bartlett Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
How We Can Show Negligence and Liability in Bartlett Motorcycle Accidents
Personal injury cases must show negligence occurred to prove a party’s liability. Negligence is a legal principle that applies to a person’s actions when they fail to meet the same standards that another reasonable person would have fulfilled.
Negligence in a motorcycle accident refers to a person failing to exercise reasonable care while driving, causing an accident that results in injury or harm to a motorcyclist. Negligence can take many forms in a motorcycle accident, including:
- Failing to yield the right-of-way, such as at a stop sign or traffic light
- Driving while distracted (e.g., cell phone, another passenger, radio)
- Failing to check blind spots before changing lanes or turning
- Driving recklessly, such as speeding, being aggressive, or weaving around traffic
- Drinking and driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
To prove negligence in a motorcycle accident, your case must establish four legal elements: duty of care, breach of duty, causation, and damages. All drivers owe one another a duty of care to drive reasonably and safely while on the road. If a driver fails to do this and causes an accident that results in losses, they could be liable for your damages.
This can involve collecting evidence such as eyewitness accounts, police reports, medical records, traffic camera footage (if available), and expert witness consultations. You may be able to receive financial recovery for your losses if you establish another party’s negligence.
Consult With Us Today for Help From a Bartlett Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you’ve suffered injuries from a motorcycle accident, you shouldn’t have to worry about covering all your related expenses while still healing from and dealing with the event’s aftermath. For a free, no-obligation consultation with a team member, contact Cory Watson Attorneys today. We can explain your legal rights and options and how our Bartlett motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.