Many people don’t realize how prevalent distracted driving is. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), distracted driving caused 3,142 deaths in the United States in just one year. Getting injured or losing a family member in a motor vehicle crash is bad enough, but when you discover that the accident could have been prevented, that knowledge makes your situation even more unbearable.
If you got injured or a loved one died because of a distracted driver, Cory Watson Attorneys can help you hold the negligent party accountable. A Bartlett, TN distracted driving accident lawyer could handle your case against the at-fault party and help you pursue monetary damages for your injuries and other losses.
Types of Distracted Driving
Distracted driving has been a phenomenon for as long as cars have existed. Many people think only of cell phones when they think of distracted driving, but there are quite a few other things that can take the driver’s eyes or mind off of the road. For example:
- Looking at radio controls, GPS, or a mobile device instead of the road
- Making eye contact with your passengers while talking
- Adjusting the heating, air conditioning, seat position, or other features of the vehicle
- Eating, drinking, or smoking
- Performing grooming activities, usually with a mirror
- Reaching down to pick something up from the floor
- Arguing with passengers
- Daydreaming or simply letting your mind wander
Distracted driving can be just as dangerous as intoxicated driving because it takes time for the distracted driver to turn their attention back to the road, recognize hazards or threats, process those things, and react. In that time, a car could travel the length of several football fields, coming in contact with any number of things.
For a free legal consultation with a distracted driving accidents lawyer serving Bartlett, call 877-562-0000
What Kinds of Damages You Could Recover in a Bartlett, TN Accident
The types and amount of compensation you can pursue after getting injured in a distracted driving crash depends on your unique situation. We can listen to your story and investigate the accident before determining the appropriate financial amount for your claim.
Some of the common damages you could pursue include:
- Medical expenses, including emergency room treatment, physical therapy, prescription medication, and follow-up appointments
- Lost income if you had to miss work to recover
- Decreased earning capacity if your injuries cause you to be impaired long-term
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement if your injuries caused extreme scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life if your injuries no longer allow you to partake in your favorite hobbies like hiking, dancing, or playing sports
- Temporary or permanent disability
If you lost a loved one in a distracted driving accident, you may be able to pursue additional compensation in a wrongful death suit, including damages like funeral and burial services and loss of companionship.
Bartlett Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
Can I Afford a Distracted Driving Lawyer?
The aftermath of a car accident is stressful enough. At Cory Watson Attorneys, we help our clients by working on contingency. This means you pay nothing upfront, and we don’t charge any lawyers’ fees unless we win and you obtain compensation.
Tennessee Filing Deadlines for Accidents
According to TN Code § 28-3-104, you must generally file your lawsuit within one year for personal injuries or a wrongful death claim. If you miss the filing deadline, you could be giving up your right to pursue compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Mistakes That Could Endanger Your Accident Lawsuit
You might be surprised to discover that the financial value of your claim could change long after the collision. Here are some examples of honest mistakes that could decrease the amount of monetary damages you could receive in a settlement or from a jury:
- Not getting medical attention right away: Your medical record and bills will be vital in proving that the accident caused your injuries and that you need the financial amount you say you need. Further, if you wait to seek medical help, the at-fault party’s insurance could claim that your injuries aren’t as serious as they truly are.
- Posting on social media: The at-fault party’s insurance company can get access to your social media account and take your photographs and other posts out of context to use against you. For example, a photo of you smiling with friends could be used to argue that you were exaggerating your discomfort.
- Waiting too long to seek a distracted driving accident lawyer: A one-year statute of limitation is extremely brief. We need time to perform a thorough investigation, determine who caused the collision, and draft multiple documents to file a lawsuit. In addition, it’s best to gather evidence while the scene and eyewitness memory are still fresh.
- Trying to handle your injury claim by yourself: When a claims adjuster sees that an injured person doesn’t have a lawyer representing them, the adjuster might try shady tactics like making a lowball settlement offer or even trying to blame you for the crash.
Distracted driving cases can be complex and challenging. Simple mistakes could put your entire case in jeopardy. However, you don’t have to face this alone. A Bartlett, TN distracted driving accident lawyer can help.
Get Help With Your Distracted Driving Accident Case Today
You should be able to focus solely on healing and rebuilding your life after a crash with a distracted driver. If you have to deal with the stress of letters, phone calls, and messages from the insurance company, you will not get the rest you truly need.
When we handle your personal injury or wrongful death case, you get to devote your attention to getting better because we take care of every legal task in your case. You can count on Cory Watson Attorneys to work relentlessly for the compensation you deserve from the at-fault party.
It’s easy to get started on your case. Contact our office today for a free, no-obligation consultation.