By Patrick Nolen on November 28, 2023
In today’s fast-paced society, online retailers are the preferred choice for numerous shoppers. With corporations like Amazon streamlining and enhancing the delivery process, their distinctive delivery vans are now a universal presence on Alabama roads.
The growing number of Amazon delivery vans on our streets has led to increased accidents involving these vehicles, making such incidents increasingly common. If you have been in an accident involving an Amazon delivery van, Birmingham truck accident lawyers at Cory Watson Attorneys can help.
The Rising Concern of Amazon Delivery Van Accidents
Amazon is facing a growing injury crisis among its delivery drivers, with nearly 20 percent sustaining injuries last year, a 40 percent increase from the previous year, according to a union-sponsored report.
Critics argue that Amazon’s emphasis on fast deliveries and high production quotas compromises safety. The rising injury rates may lead to increased regulatory scrutiny from agencies like the U.S. Department of Labor and OSHA and could bolster union-organizing efforts.
The study by the Strategic Organizing Center (SOC) reveals that Amazon’s last-mile delivery stations are the most dangerous, with injury rates 40 percent higher than warehouses, and attributes high quotas as a major factor.
With such a rise in accidents, the number of injuries resulting from accidents involving Amazon trucks continues to increase.
Cory Watson Attorneys takes the stress out of fighting a big company like Amazon. We handle the legal issues the insurance companies hope you don’t know about.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-562-0000
Causes of Amazon Delivery Van Accidents
Delivery drivers make human mistakes, but the added pressure of working and road stress can make matters worse.
Delivery vehicle crashes can result from various factors, including:
- Distracted Driving: Drivers can be distracted by texting, talking on the phone, using GPS, or handling packages while driving, leading to accidents.
- Speeding: Excessive speed can reduce a driver’s reaction time and increase the severity of accidents.
- Fatigue: Overworked or tired drivers are more prone to making mistakes or falling asleep at the wheel.
- Reckless driving: Aggressive behaviors like weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, and ignoring traffic rules contribute to crashes.
- Poor weather conditions: Rain, snow, ice, or fog reduces visibility and can make roads slippery, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Inadequate training: Drivers who lack proper training may struggle to safely handle delivery vehicles and navigate traffic.
- Vehicle maintenance issues: Neglected maintenance, including brake and tire issues, can lead to mechanical failures and accidents.
- Inadequately loading or securing cargo: Improperly loaded shipments can shift during transit, affecting vehicle stability and potentially causing crashes.
- Running red lights or stop signs: Violating traffic signals and signs is a common cause of intersection-related accidents.
- Inexperienced or inattentive drivers: Inexperienced drivers, unfamiliar with the area or not paying attention, are more likely to make mistakes that result in crashes.
- Delivery deadlines: Pressure to meet tight delivery schedules can lead drivers to take risks, such as speeding or ignoring safety precautions.
If an Amazon delivery van caused your accident, we can help you get your life back to normal.
Amazon Delivery Van-Related Injuries
Delivery vehicle accident injuries can be catastrophic, often leaving the victim with devastating and permanent injuries. Many Amazon truck crash victims bravely survive wrecks, only to live with a decreased quality of life afterward. Such suffering is tragic and unacceptable.
The lawyers at Cory Watson are dedicated to finding our clients every penny they are entitled to in an accident claim. Common Amazon accident injuries include:
Back and neck injuries
These injuries range from mild neck discomfort to more severe conditions, such as spinal disc dislocation. Given the vital roles your back and neck play, these injuries frequently hinder victims from resuming their work and regular routines.
Burn injuries can result from a delivery van crash, especially an ill-maintained or faulty vehicle.
Accidents can lead to head trauma, potentially resulting in life-altering brain injuries. Such injuries can occur without direct head impact, often due to whiplash or sudden acceleration/deceleration forces. These injuries may not manifest immediately, and a brain injury doesn’t necessarily involve loss of consciousness.
Possible symptoms include confusion, nausea, vision issues, and cognitive challenges. Head injuries are among the most devastating outcomes in truck accidents, frequently leading to the loss of cognitive and motor functions. For many, a brain injury irreversibly alters life.
Intense blunt force trauma in a crash often causes internal bleeding to organs such as the pancreas, bladder, liver, kidney, and spleen.
Rib and torso injuries
Delivery van crash injuries to the ribs and torso can be severe. The rib cage protects the body’s vital organs. If it cracks, the bones can pierce the organs beneath it.
Seat belt injuries
Seat belts are there to protect, but they can also cause injuries like broken collarbones.
Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
Injuries to the spinal cord can lead to paralysis. MRIs will detect injuries that might not show in an X-ray. All such medical records are crucial to proving a claim against a negligent Amazon driver.
Delivery vehicles are dangerous. They are larger than other vehicles and can do more damage in an accident. When drivers are inexperienced or drive poorly maintained vehicles, innocent drivers on the road pay the price.
Contact our personal injury lawyers today
Who Is Liable in an Amazon Delivery Accident?
Amazon uses a delivery driver structure designed to safeguard the company against legal repercussions in case of accidents in Alabama.
Amazon employs two categories of delivery truck drivers: flex drivers and those in the Delivery Service Partner (DSP) program. Flex drivers are independent contractors operating on their own behalf, not as Amazon employees.
They use personal vehicles to transport packages for Amazon. Since flex drivers are independent contractors, Amazon bears no liability for accidents they may cause while delivering packages in Alabama.
DSP drivers are employed by smaller local delivery companies. This arrangement serves as an additional layer of protection for Amazon against potential liability in accidents. Given that DSP drivers are not direct Amazon employees, individuals injured in accidents involving these drivers cannot directly sue Amazon.
Becoming a flex driver for Amazon involves few requirements: possessing a valid driver’s license, being at least 21 years old, having a suitable vehicle, and owning a smartphone.
Flex drivers do not undergo the additional training that DSP drivers might receive, potentially making them more susceptible to accidents when delivering packages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How to Get Compensation for An Amazon Delivery Accident
There are three major steps to filing a claim against an Amazon delivery driver in Alabama. They may sound easy, but it takes a lot of know-how to maneuver the complex legal avenues of an insurance claim.
Insurance companies know that, too. That’s why their policies are hard to understand and legally complex. They want you to be unsure, confused, and more apt to make mistakes.
To win your claim against an Amazon driver, you must:
- Investigation: Start with a thorough investigation to determine who’s to blame. This means looking at accident reports, talking to witnesses, gathering evidence from Amazon’s Delivery Service Partner (DSP), and consulting accident experts.
- Insurance claim: If you can prove who’s at fault, you can file a claim against their insurance and hope to get a fair settlement that covers your losses.
- Lawsuit: If the insurance company won’t offer a fair deal, the next level is a lawsuit. You file a formal complaint against the responsible party and, if necessary, go to court.
If you cannot pursue legal action against Amazon for injuries caused by a negligent Amazon driver, alternative avenues can still help get you back on your feet.
Amazon extends flex drivers liability insurance potentially sufficient to address your injury-related expenses. Their commercial liability insurance policy provides up to $1 million in damages coverage for each accident.
Flex drivers also carry personal liability insurance for the vehicles used in deliveries, which might cover your losses.
In addition to suing a DSP driver, you may seek compensation from the company that employs the driver in Amazon’s DSP program.
How an Alabama Amazon Delivery Accident Lawyer Can Help
A lawyer can help you after an accident with an Amazon delivery vehicle. They do all the heavy lifting and explain everything along the way.
- Legal experience: Lawyers specializing in personal injury and accident cases explicitly understand the relevant laws and regulations. They can help you navigate the legal complexities of your case.
- Professional investigation: Your attorney will conduct thorough research into the accident. This includes gathering evidence, talking to witnesses, and working with experts to establish fault.
- Insurance claims: They will assist in filing and negotiating with insurance companies. Like most big companies, Amazon has insurance coverage for accidents involving its delivery vehicles. Your lawyer will ensure you receive a fair settlement covering your losses.
- Liability determination: If the insurance company refuses to offer a reasonable settlement, your lawyer can file a lawsuit against the responsible party, including Amazon or the delivery driver, depending on the circumstances.
- Representation in court: If the case goes to court, your lawyer will provide legal representation, presenting your case and advocating for your rights and compensation.
- Negotiation: Lawyers are skilled negotiators who can maximize the compensation you receive through a settlement or a court judgment.
- Understanding damages: They can identify and estimate the damages you deserve, including medical expenses, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and more.
- Dealing with Amazon: If Amazon is involved in the case, your attorney will protect your rights and hold Amazon responsible for its delivery vehicle’s involvement in the accident.
- Peace of mind: Having a lawyer in your corner provides peace of mind, knowing that you have someone experienced in handling such cases who can protect your interests.