When you think about car wrecks, you most likely think of two or more cars colliding. However, more than 14% of all traffic fatalities and 3% of those injured in traffic crashes are pedestrians. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a pedestrian is killed every two hours and injured every seven minutes in a traffic accident.
Pedestrian accidents almost always involve injuries, and those injuries can be significant considering a pedestrian has no vehicle to protect them. Here are 7 safety tips to help pedestrians in Alabama avoid an accident:
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Walk on sidewalks whenever possible and avoid narrow shoulders next to highways.
- When there isn’t a sidewalk, walk facing traffic to give you ample time to react if a car veers toward you.
- Be visible at all times to drivers. If walking at night, wear reflective gear and carry a flashlight to be more conspicuous.
- Make eye contact with drivers to ensure they see you.
- When crossing the street, use crosswalks whenever possible. When a crosswalk isn’t available, choose a well-lit area to cross.
- Be aware of cars entering and exiting driveways. Look twice before walking across a driveway access.
- Do not use ear buds or headphones when walking or running in areas where you may encounter vehicle traffic.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-562-0000
For more information about pedestrian safety, visit NHTSA.gov. If you’ve been injured in a car wreck, call the Alabama car accident attorneys at Cory Watson immediately. Our consultations are always free and you won’t pay us anything unless we get money for you. Don’t wait to get the help you need. Contact us today.
Call or text 877-562-0000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form