Ridesharing changed how we get to the places that matter most to us. Scheduling an Uber takes much of the stress out of the daily commute and makes vacation sightseeing more enjoyable. It’s a convenient, financially feasible alternative to car ownership—but isn’t without risk. Uber drivers can get in accidents that injure their passengers and others.
It’s hard to tell who’s at fault when an Uber driver causes the accident. You may need to fight several different insurance companies, and none of them want you to pay compensation for your damages.
Birmingham Uber Accident Lawyer at Cory Watson Attorneys know exactly what to do when an Uber driver injures their passenger or another person on the road. We ensure our clients get the compensation they need to regain their lives.
Use our website to contact us or come by the Birmingham office at 2131 Magnolia Avenue South or call (205) 328-2200 24/7 to speak to us.
Why Hire Us?
Cory Watson Attorneys is a top-rated law firm with a strong reputation in dealing with Uber accident liability. We’re recognized by organizations like the Better Business Bureau, National Trial Lawyers, the American Association of Trial Lawyers, and we are also 2023 Public Justice members.
U.S. News & World Report named us one of the country’s best law firms, showing that we’re committed to fighting for justice and serving our clients until they get the results they deserve. Cory Watson Attorneys gauge our success by the success of our clients.
We’ve garnered a stellar reputation based on numerous glowing reviews from satisfied clients. Look at our Google testimonials highlighting some of our qualities and unwavering dedication to our clients.
Shannon K expressed immense gratitude for the firm, She mentioned how our compassion extended beyond the call of duty. In a difficult time when her family was coping with a traumatic injury and the associated life changes, we provided reassurance and unwavering support throughout the entire journey.
Ashley T echoed these sentiments, emphasizing the firm’s exceptional qualities. Ashley commended our kindness, compassion, and consistent communication. She found comfort in their dedicated efforts to ensure she was informed and well cared for, going above and beyond to provide the best possible legal representation.
Tracy W also had a positive experience with the Cory Watson firm. She praised our professionalism and kindness during a difficult period marked by trauma, doctor’s appointments, mounting bills, and stress stemming from an accident. Tracy and her husband were grateful for the firm’s unwavering support throughout this challenging process, emphasizing that they had their best interests in mind.
Our reviews paint a picture of a law firm that provides compassionate and dedicated legal representation. Clients repeatedly commend the firm’s commitment to their well-being, professionalism, and exceptional legal experience. These testimonials show that we are a law firm that goes the extra mile to support clients during challenging times.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Birmingham, call 877-562-0000
Alabama Uber Laws and Regulations
Governor Kay Ivey announced that people in Alabama could use ridesharing services like Uber all across the state, not just in big cities, in 2018. This change made it easier for people in different areas to get affordable rides and for others to earn money by driving.
Alabama became the 45th state in the U.S. to have statewide ridesharing, giving more transportation options to residents and visitors and helping local businesses grow. We are an Uber-friendly state, but the accidents they cause are a bad side effect.
Alabama also has laws about liability in an Uber accident. Understanding how Alabama regards Uber accident liability and auto accident claims can help you take the right action after a crash.
Birmingham Birmingham Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
Who Can You Hold Responsible When an Uber Driver Hits You?
An accident involving an Uber driver in Alabama is more legally intricate than a typical car crash because multiple parties may bear responsibility for your injuries.
As a passenger, you can exercise several options to get compensation:
- Rideshare company: Uber could be deemed liable for the accident under extremely limited circumstances. They might share responsibility for inadequate company policies, training programs, or driver background checks. More often, however, their insurance company may bear liability for the driver’s actions.
- Driver: You can hold the Uber driver responsible for the accident if their actions, such as reckless driving, negligence, or violations of traffic laws, directly contributed to the collision.
- Other Motorists: If another motorist, not associated with the rideshare service, acted negligently or recklessly, causing the accident, you can hold them liable for the resulting damages.
Contact our personal injury lawyers today
How Much Is My Uber Accident Worth?
Figuring out the value of an Uber accident means first determining fault.
If the person responsible is the Uber driver, it depends on if they were working.
- Off-duty driver: If the driver wasn’t using their company’s app when the accident happened, they’re off duty. In this case, the rideshare company’s insurance doesn’t apply. Instead, the driver’s auto insurance pays for the damages.
- On-duty but without passengers: If the driver was using their company’s app but didn’t have any passengers with them, the driver’s insurance might cover them, but it must meet Alabama’s minimum insurance requirements for liability coverage.
According to Alabama Code 32-7C-2(b)(1), an on-duty Uber driver without passengers must carry a policy with:
- $25,000 for property damage
- $50,000 for each injured person
- $100,000 for each accident with injury
The law refers to drivers who are working and transporting passengers as engaged in a prearranged ride. Liability coverage minimums increase when transporting passengers.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Typical Damages in Uber Accidents
Victims of Uber accidents in Alabama may suffer a range of losses, including:
- Pain and suffering: Compensation is available for physical and emotional distress stemming from the accident, covering mental anguish, the loss of life’s pleasures, and other non-economic damages.
- Medical expenses: You can pursue reimbursement for various medical costs, encompassing emergency care, hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, and other healthcare expenses resulting from the accident.
- Lost income: If your injuries stop you from working, you can recover compensation for past and anticipated lost wages.
- Property damage: When your personal property, such as your vehicle, sustains damage in an accident, you may be eligible for compensation for associated costs.
- Punitive damages: If the conduct of the Uber driver is deemed exceedingly risky, you may be entitled to punitive damages, ordered as punishment for the at-fault party for their actions and to discourage similar behavior.
To ensure you obtain the full compensation you are entitled to seek guidance from Cory Watson Attorneys. We can help you through the legal process and advocate for your rights.
Proving Liability Against an Uber Driver in an Accident
Proving that the Uber driver who hit you is at fault for the accident takes definitive evidence. Cory Watson Attorneys know where to look for the right evidence for your case.
That could include:
- Police reports
- Accident reports
- Photographic evidence from the scene
- Smartphone footage
- Property damages estimates
- Traffic-light camera footage
- Security surveillance footage
- Dash-cam footage
- Medical records
- Physical evidence from the scene
- Eyewitness statements
- Expert witness statements
Our Birmingham Uber accident lawyers can obtain the evidence you need to hold negligent drivers accountable.
Causes of Uber Accidents
Uber and other ridesharing accidents share similarities with regular auto accidents, but certain unique factors might increase the likelihood of accidents involving Uber drivers.
One such factor is driver fatigue, making drivers more vulnerable to accidents. The financial incentive to maximize earnings plays another significant role.
Uber drivers earn money on every successful trip, encouraging them to get everyone where they’re going as quickly as possible. This financial motivation can lead to riskier behavior and shortcuts they might otherwise avoid.
Aside from tired driving, several other common factors contribute to Uber accidents, including:
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Unsafe lane changes
- Risky or illegal passing maneuvers
- Failure to yield
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Issues related to defective vehicles or parts
How Is an Uber Different from a Taxi?
Ridesharing services, like Uber, are not taxi cabs. Some taxi companies employ their drivers. With Uber, drivers own the cars and work as freelancers, not employees.
Uber requires drivers to have car insurance, but personal liability policies don’t typically cover situations where you’re making money riding around. So, Uber provides extra coverage for specific conditions.
Let’s talk about your legal options after an Uber accident.
How Cory Watson Attorneys Take Care of Your Uber Accident
We can provide significant assistance to you after an Uber accident.
- Legal experience: A lawyer specializing in personal injury or car accidents understands the relevant laws, regulations, and legal procedures. They can guide you through legal complexities and protect your rights.
- Investigation: Your attorney can conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, gathering evidence such as witness statements, accident reports, and any available video to establish liability and build a strong case.
- Determining liability: Identifying who is at fault in the accident is a lot harder than it seems. Your attorney will work to find evidence that proves whether the Uber driver, another driver, or a combination of factors is responsible for the crash.
- Insurance claims: Communicating with insurance companies can be challenging. Your attorney will handle negotiations with Uber’s insurance company and other involved parties to ensure you receive fair compensation for your damages.
- Gathering medical records: Your attorney can help you gather and organize medical records and bills related to your injuries. This documentation is essential for proving the extent of your damages and medical expenses.
- Negotiations: Your lawyer will negotiate with the parties for a fair settlement. If you can’t reach a settlement, a lawyer can represent you and advocate for your case in court.
- Maximizing compensation: An experienced attorney knows how to identify all possible sources of compensation, including Uber’s insurance, your own insurance, and potentially the driver’s insurance. They work to maximize the compensation you receive.
- Understanding complex insurance issues: Uber accidents often involve complex insurance issues. An attorney can navigate the intricacies of Uber’s insurance policy, any additional coverage, and other potential sources of compensation.
- Emotional support: Dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be emotionally taxing. Your attorney can provide support and guidance throughout the process, helping ease the associated stress.
- Trial representation: If we cannot secure a fair settlement through negotiations, your attorney can represent you in court, presenting your case and advocating for your interests before a judge and jury.
An attorney from the Cory Watson Firm can offer invaluable assistance in handling the legal aspects of your accident with an Uber driver, ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages while allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Our experienced team of Uber accident attorneys is here to help you get the compensation you deserve. Take the first step toward a fair settlement today. Contact our Birmingham personal injury attorney now for a free consultation and legal guidance. Your peace of mind is just one call away. Use our website to contact us, come by the Birmingham office at 2131 Magnolia Avenue South, or call us 24/7 at (205) 328-2200.
Birmingham Office Location2131 Magnolia Ave s.
Birmingham, AL 35205