It’s bad enough when someone hurts themselves, but it is worse when another person’s negligence is the cause of an injury. You could have a personal injury case if someone else harmed you or a loved one through their negligent behavior.
You might be entitled to damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering if you were injured or lost a family member because of someone else’s negligence.
While you can try to recover damages from the at-fault party on your own, you may recover more compensation by working with Cory Watson’s dedicated Birmingham personal injury attorneys. Our attorneys have been honored with several awards recognizing our service to our clients and we have decades of experience.
What does a Personal Injury Case Consist Of?
A personal injury case might sound like it includes any injury to a person, but that is not the case. People get hurt all the time, but it is not always someone else’s fault. Most personal injury cases must contain these four elements:
- Duty of care: One party had an obligation to keep another party from the risk of harm. For example, a doctor must avoid harming his patients, and drivers must drive safely and not harm anyone sharing the roads.
- Breach of duty: The party violated the duty of care with negligent behavior.
- Causation: The negligent behavior directly caused your injuries, meaning that you would not be injured if not for the other party’s negligence.
- Damages: Your injuries and related losses can be compensated financially.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
At Cory Watson Attorneys, we handle many types of personal injury cases. During your free consultation, we will go over the details of what happened to you to see if you have a valid case. Here are the most common types of personal injury cases we handle:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Brain injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Drug injuries
- Class action lawsuits
- Wrongful death
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Birmingham, call 877-562-0000
How Much Is a Personal Injury Case Worth?
Because each case is different, there is no standard answer to how much a personal injury case is worth. In general, people with more severe injuries might be able to recover more damages than people with less severe injuries. Our lawyers will evaluate your case and estimate how much it is worth based on your medical bills, future prognosis, lost wages, and the extent of your pain and suffering.
You may be able to recover these types of damages:
Economic Damages in a Personal Injury Case
Economic damages compensate you for direct losses such as:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future lost wages
- Property damage
Non-Economic Damages in a Personal Injury Case
Non-economic damages compensate you for intangible losses like pain and suffering caused by:
- Chronic pain
- A long recovery period
- Multiple surgeries
- Loss of a limb or body function
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and insomnia
- Reduced quality of life
Damages in a Wrongful Death Case
If you lost a loved one because of someone else’s negligence, you could sue for related damages, like:
- Funeral and burial losses
- Your loved one’s medical bills from before their passing
- Lost wages you missed out on while taking care of your loved one
Only the personal representative of the decedent’s estate can file a lawsuit for wrongful death in Alabama. Our lawyers could help you determine who should file a wrongful death lawsuit if your loved one passed away.
Birmingham Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
What If I Can’t Afford a Lawyer After My Birmingham Accident or Injury?
Don’t worry about whether you have enough money for a lawyer. At Cory Watson Attorneys, we work on contingency. That means we do not get any payment until we win your case. You never have to pay any fees upfront.
Our attorneys serving Birmingham will evaluate your personal injury case. Our team only takes on cases we think we can win for our clients. You only pay us when we win compensation for you.
Contact our State Name Personal Injury Lawyers today
How Your Lawyer Can Help With Your Personal Injury Case
A lawyer can help you navigate the confusing and tedious process of seeking compensation from the party that injured you and their insurance provider. We can:
- Investigate the incident: We will gather evidence such as pictures of the scene, pictures of your injuries, traffic or security camera footage, cell phone records, toxicology reports, and interviews with witnesses to show that the other party’s negligence caused your injuries.
- Estimate your damages: You need to know the value of your damages to evaluate settlement offers. We will use your medical bills, past wage statements, and more to estimate your losses.
- Negotiate a settlement: We will negotiate a fair settlement that compensates the full value of your losses.
- File a lawsuit: We can sue the at-fault party and represent you in court.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Legal Deadlines That Could Affect Your Alabama Personal Injury Case
If you sustained injuries or lost a loved one because of another party’s negligence, you have a limited amount of time to seek compensation. These laws may apply to your case:
- AL Code § 6-2-38 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury at two years
- AL Code § 6-5-410 sets the statute of limitations for wrongful death at two years
You generally have two years from the date of the accident or two years from your loved one’s passing to sue the at-fault party. If you wait any longer, you forfeit your right to sue. Act quickly and speak with our committed personal injury lawyers about your case before time runs out.
Cory Watson Attorneys Will Fight for Your Rights
If you are a victim of personal injury in Birmingham, you could be entitled to damages for medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering. A personal injury attorney with Cory Watson Attorneys may be able to help you recover damages for your losses.
Call our office today at (205) 328-2200 for a free case consultation. The sooner you call, the sooner we can get started on your case. Our past client reviews affirm how much we care for those that rely on our knowledge and resources.
Call or text 877-562-0000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form