Hirlye Lutz (Ryan)
Co-Chair, Class Action & Complex Litigation Practice
T: (205) 271-7106
F: (205) 324-7896
T: (205) 271-7155
Ryan Lutz is a compassionate competitor. Inspired to enter the highly adversarial field of litigation after playing collegiate basketball, Ryan has successfully focused his competitive spirit toward helping those injured personally and economically by large corporations who place profits over safety and fairness. Ryan believes that helping people through the law gives ordinary people a voice, and his “win the day” approach to practicing law gives a powerful voice to those who need it.
Raised in Birmingham, Ryan earned his undergraduate degree from Auburn University before returning to Birmingham to pursue his Juris Doctor at Cumberland School of Law at Samford University. Since joining Cory Watson in 2006, Ryan has served as Co-Lead counsel in a $25 million verdict for Plaintiffs in a products liability case against Nissan, twice represented the State of Mississippi through Attorney General Jim Hood against Google, represented nearly every city and county in the State of Arkansas against every major Opioid manufacturer and distributor, served as Co-Lead Class Counsel for numerous certified nationwide consumer fraud class actions against large corporations in jurisdictions across the country, and served leading roles for the firm in Multi-District Litigation involving medical devices and pharmaceutical products.
One of his most important accomplishments involved leading two certified nationwide consumer fraud class actions against fireplace manufacturers who made dangerous glass front fireplaces that were causing severe third-degree burns to infants and toddlers who accidentally touched the glass fronts. As a result of those cases, the fireplace industry changed its standards to require mandatory safety screens, preventing further harm to young children.
Ryan’s drive to help and connect to fellow citizens nationwide is evidenced by his work, his lifestyle, and his concern for children extends beyond the courtroom. He is a board member and current president of the Tumtum Tree Foundation, a charity that raises money for local children’s charities through an annual live wine auction. The foundation has raised over $12,000,000.
When he’s not working, he and his wife Lindsey are experiencing the joys of parenthood with their two children, Asher and Holden. Ryan also has a passion for food and wine, exercise and sports, and travel abroad.
- Alabama State Bar
• Chancery Court of Lowndes County, Mississippi
• Circuit Court for Prince George’s County, Maryland
• Circuit Court of Crittenden County, Arkansas
• Iowa District Court, Linn County
• State of California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District
• State of North Carolina, Craven County
• Superior Court of the State of California, County of Los Angeles, Central District
• Superior Court of the State of Indiana, County of Marion
• The Supreme Court of Alabama
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
• United States District Court for the Northern District of California
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
• United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
• United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Super Lawyers, Alabama Rising Stars, 2012-2016
- Birmingham Magazine, Top Birmingham Attorneys
- Birmingham Business Journal Top 40 Under 40, 2019
- Birmingham Business Journal Rising Star
- Mealey’s Pharmaceutical Superconference, “Digitek-An Overview,” Guest Speaker
- HB Litigation Conference, “Fleet Phospho-Soda-Over the Counter Drug Litigation,” Guest Speaker
- Alabama Association for Justice, “Spotting a Class Action—Don’t Miss Your Opportunity,” Guest Speaker
- Full athletic basketball scholarship to The University of Alabama at Huntsville
- The University of Alabama at Huntsville, Dean’s List
- Auburn University, Dean’s List
- Cumberland School of Law, Dean’s List
- Cumberland School of Law, Scholar of Merit Award
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Alabama Association for Justice, Emerging Leaders Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- The University of Alabama at Huntsville
- Auburn University, B.S.
- TumTum Tree Foundation, Board Member and current President