For Jerome Tapley, the decision to become a lawyer was a deeply personal one. When he was a boy, a family member died in a workplace accident. Jerome witnessed first-hand how lawyers could make a difference in people’s lives. The trial lawyers who represented Tapley’s family successfully held the responsible party accountable for the tragedy. Jerome Tapley knew then that he wanted to be a trial lawyer. His road toward achieving that goal was not easy, but hard work has never been an obstacle for him.
Jerome was born in Alexander City, Alabama - a hard-working, cotton mill town that taught him the values of persistence, keeping his word, and doing his best. The lessons learned from his community propelled Jerome to become the first college graduate in his family. He graduated from Auburn University Montgomery, where he was Student Government President, and earned his law degree through Cumberland School of Law at Samford University.
Jerome Tapley, now a principal at Cory Watson Attorneys, focuses 100 percent on courtroom litigation including Class Action, Mass Tort, and Products Liability Litigation. He is admitted to all state and federal courts in Alabama and Florida.
Jerome has been married to his high school sweetheart Kelli for 18 years. Kelli is a pediatrician and loving mom to their two daughters, Madeline and Harper. On the weekends, you can find Jerome and his family out quail hunting with their dog Duke, tending to their vegetable garden or fly fishing. The Tapley family is active at Haven Field Community Church, where Jerome serves as Chairman of the Elders and hosts a weekly family small group at their home. Though Jerome has a variety of hobbies and interests, one of his favorite quotes speaks to his hard-working background: “No one has ever drowned in sweat.”- Lou Holtz.
- Alabama State Bar
- Florida State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Appointments & Representative Cases
- Plaintiffs’ Co-Lead Counsel, In re: Google Inc. Gmail Litigation, MDL No. 2430
- Co-Lead Class Counsel, Rotandi v. Miles Industries, Ltd., N.D. Cal. 11-CV-02146
- Class Counsel, Banks v. Nissan North America, Inc., N.D. Cal. 11-cv-02022
- Co-Lead Class Counsel, Keilholtz v. Lennox, et. al., N.D. Cal., 08-CV-00836
- Class Counsel, Craft v. North Seattle Comm. College Foundation, M.D. Ga. Case No. 3:07-cv-132-CDL
- Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, In Re: General Motors Corporation Dex-Cool Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1562
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Super Lawyers, 2011-2016, 2018-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2020
- Top 40 Under 40 National Trial Lawyers
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated Martindale-Hubbell
- B-Metro Magazine, TopFlight Attorneys, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Alabama Association for Justice, Emerging Leaders Section
- American Association for Justice
- Haven Field Community Church, Chairman of the Governing Board, the Elder Team
Select Reported Cases
- Lisk Lumber One Wood Preserving, LLC (11th Cir. 2015) 792 F.3d 1331.
- Google, Inc. v. Hood (5th Cir. May 18, 2016, No. 15-60205) 2016 U.S. App. LEXIS 9109.
- Brandon Banks v. Nissan North Am., Inc. (D.Cal. 2013) 301 F.R.D. 327.
- Batista v. Nissan North Am., (S.D.Fla. Dec. 7, 2015, Civil Action No. 14-24728-Civ) 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 177227.
- Keilholtz v. Lennox Hearth Prods. (N.D.Cal. 2010) 268 F.R.D. 330.
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- Auburn University Montgomery, B.S.