Alabama is a beautiful, natural state that offers vast recreational water opportunities like boating on Lewis Smith Lake, fishing on Mobile Bay, jet-skiing on the Gulf of Mexico, floating down the Coosa River, and other maritime activities on one of numerous beautiful bodies of water.
But an abundance of fun-filled activities on the water also poses unique risks. Maritime-related accidents such as boating crashes, jet-ski accidents, and drowning incidents all pose major threats to civilians looking to enjoy time on the water to beat the heat. Often, boating accidents are due to somebody else’s negligence, requiring a boating accident attorney.
It is important to know the dangers and to know what to do if any of the following impacts you or someone you know:
Boats and Other Watercraft Prone to Accidents and Lawsuits
- Recreational boats (fishing boats, pontoon boats, catamaran boats, trawler boats, yachts)
- Sport boats (wake boats, ski boats, power cruiser boats, walkaround boats)
- Jet-Skis (Sea-Doo, Kawasaki, Yamaha WaterCraft)
- Commercial boats (ferries, cruise ships, yachts)
- Inflatable boats
Causes and Types of Boating-Related Accidents
- Boating Collisions
- With other vessels
- With fixed objects, like rocks or piers
- With people
- Jet-ski accidents
- Jet-Skis can be a thrilling activity but are also very dangerous if you don’t take the necessary precautions. If riding a Jet-Ski, it’s crucial to be aware of watercraft in your surroundings, as its small size can make it harder to see.
- Boating Under the Influence (BUI)
- Inefficient warnings or safety procedures (weather advisories, signs for risks)
- Before entering a body of water, ensure you’ve looked around and read any sort of signage indicating potential dangers, risks, or warnings. Additionally, make sure you’re aware of the hour-by-hour weather forecast. Take all preventative measures.
- Drowning deaths peak in July, especially among children under the age of 5. Many drowning deaths are unfortunately preventable, so keep an eye on your children around water, whether it be swimming pools, boats, lakes, and the beach
- Defective parts
- Boat parts that don’t work correctly can cause accidents that lead to explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning, and capsizing. Our boating accident attorneys have handled hundreds of personal injury cases involving product liability claims.
Holidays are an especially important time to stay aware of dangers related to boating and water activities, as traffic is increased on not only the roadways, but waterways too. Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Memorial Day are some of the most common times of the year our boating accident attorneys see boating and watersport accidents.
Legal Info for Popular Lakes Across Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee
Click the lake to visit their website and access lake rules, regulations, and safety tips, and more:
Contacting an Attorney After a Boating Accident
If you or someone you know was injured in a boating accident, contact us today at 877-562-0000 or simply fill out the free case evaluation form on this page. The initial consultation is 100% free, and we only get paid if we win your case.
The moments following a boating accident can be traumatic, confusing, and stressful. You may be badly injured, you need help, and you don’t know who to talk to. Cost comes into play, and you’re worried about covering hospital bills, missing work, or paying for damages even though the accident may have been somebody else’s fault.
Our attorneys are here to help. We have fought for victims of accidents like yours who need help and justice moving forward after a serious injury.
ABOUT CORY WATSON ATTORNEYS
Cory Watson Attorneys is a nationally recognized personal injury law firm with offices in Birmingham, Alabama; Memphis and Nashville, Tennessee. The firm has recovered more than $3 billion for clients across the country. Attorneys are frequently at the forefront of major class actions and multidistrict litigations involving dangerous pharmaceuticals and product liability, and are often appointed to leadership positions in national cases. Firm practice areas include Personal Injury, Product Liability, Class Action, Asbestos, Business & Commercial Litigation, Dangerous Pharmaceuticals, Defective Medical Devices, and Environmental/Toxic Torts. To learn more, visit CoryWatson.com.