J. Curt Tanner knew he wanted to have a career in law from an early age.
As a teenager, his father was badly injured in an accident. The legal team that represented his father made a big impact on Curt and his family, and the experience inspired him to go to law school. He knew he wanted to help people through difficult times the way he and his family were helped through his father’s accident.
A driven advocate for his clients, J. Curt Tanner fights for justice in personal injury, civil litigation, motor vehicle wreck, product liability, and mass tort cases. A member of the firm since 2016, he represents personal injury clients across the state of Alabama as well as Tennessee and Mississippi.
Curt began his legal career by representing individuals against some of the largest banks and investment firms in the world. His dedication to securing justice allowed him to help obtain a seven-figure settlement in a Ponzi scheme case on behalf of his clients. In 2018, Curt was part of a successful trial team where a Jefferson County jury awarded the plaintiff a verdict of $10 million in a wrongful death lawsuit. Curt is an expert in and has attained several seven-figure settlements in cases involving drunk drivers, dram shop claims, car wrecks, and traumatic brain injuries.
Curt was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended the Cumberland School of Law after graduating from Auburn University. Curt is continuously involved in the local community. He believes that a personal injury lawyer should serve the community not just with their legal needs, but with any needs that will one day allow them to contribute back to the community themselves. Curt is involved in the Moot Court program at Cumberland School of Law, his alma mater. He sees a lot of value in helping law students develop skills that will make them successful attorneys.
When he is not pursuing justice on behalf of his clients, Curt enjoys traveling with his wife, Kathryn, and spending time at the lake with their dog.
- Alabama State Bar
- Mississippi State Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- USDC Northern District of Alabama
- USDC Middle District of Alabama
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- Supreme Court of Tennessee
- Supreme Court of Mississippi
- Southern District of Indiana
- Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida
- Circuit Court of the 19th Judicial Circuit in and for St. Lucie County, Florida
- Eastern District of Texas
HONORS, AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch© 2021
- Birmingham Magazine’s Top Attorneys 2020
- Henry Upson Sims Moot Court Board, National Team Associate Justice
- Cumberland School of Law, Dean’s List
- Cumberland School of Law, Scholar of Merit
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Alabama Association for Justice, Emerging Leaders Section
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- Auburn University, B.A.