Author Photo
Written by:

Kentucky Man Hospitalized after E-Cigarette Explosion

| Read Time: < 1 minute

A Kentucky man is recovering from second-degree burns suffered when an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket. The incident was caught on surveillance video; the victim was standing in line in a convenience store when the e-cigarette battery in his pocket exploded without warning. A video shows the man running out of the store, trying desperately to remove his clothes which were in flames. Onlookers finally doused the flames with a fire extinguisher.

The Kentucky case is the latest in a rash of e-cigarette explosions reported nationwide. Most cases appear to be related to the e-cigarette batteries, raising red flags about the safety of the popular tobacco substitutes that are part of a multi-billion dollar industry. A Florida man suffered disfiguring facial burns in an accident he said was caused by an e-cigarette exploding in his mouth. In Ohio, a fire department issued a public warning after a lab worker had an e-cigarette blow up inside the pocket of his lab coat.

The explosions are likely linked to the lithium-ion batteries that fuel the vaporizers in electronic cigarettes. Lithium-ion batteries are the same category of battery that charge cell phones and laptop computers. Lithium-ion batteries have also been reported as the cause of explosions in cell phones and other electronic devices, including “hoverboards.”

Cory Watson Attorneys represents individuals injured or killed by dangerous or defective products including e-cigarettes and other products with lithium-ion batteries. If you’ve been burned or injured by an e-cigarette or electronic device, call today for a FREE case evaluation. Our attorneys have recovered more than 3 Billion on behalf of clients injured by the negligence or wrongful conduct of others, and are ready to fight for you.

  • Subscribe to Our Blog