The threat of ice, snow, and the classic “wintry mix” brings new hazards to the roadways. Winter weather plays a role in the increased number of car accidents this time of year. This is especially true in Alabama, where most residents are not accustomed to driving in winter conditions.
The lawyers at Cory Watson Attorneys would like to offer you these winter driving tips that can help keep you safe while driving in ice or snow.
- Check your tires. Your vehicle’s tires are what keep it on the road in slick conditions, so make sure each tire is properly inflated and has plenty of tread.
- Know your route. Before heading out into deteriorating weather conditions, make sure the roads and highways you plan to use are clear. Make someone aware of your route and estimated time of arrival.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. It takes longer to slow down on icy roads.
- Avoid stopping your vehicle in traffic. There is a big difference in the amount of inertia required to start moving from a full top versus how much it takes to get moving while still rolling. If you can slow down enough to keep rolling until a traffic light changes, do it.
- Keep your distance. Expect the unexpected and allow several car lengths between you and the driver ahead of you—at least one car length for every 10 mph of your speed of travel.
- Be prepared. Being stranded on the side of the road in freezing weather due to impassable roads or an automobile accident can be a recipe for disaster, so be sure and pack emergency supplies in your trunk. These should include blankets, waterproof boots, gloves, cold weather gear, flashlight, flares, food and water.
- Don’t overreact. If you find yourself spinning out of control after hitting a slick spot in the road, don’t overreact and hit the brakes. This can cause you to further lose control of the vehicle. Instead, take your foot off of the gas and gently turn the wheel of your vehicle into the spin.
- Never warm up a vehicle in a garage or closed area. There’s a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Keep the gas tank filled at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Avoid using parking brake in cold, rainy, and snowy weather.
- Never use Cruise Control on slick or icy roads.
- Don’t try to push or dig your vehicle out of snow.
- If you become snow-bound, stay with your vehicle. It provides temporary shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to locate you. Don’t try to walk in a severe storm. If possible run the engine and heater just long enough to remove the chill and to conserve gasoline.
- Stay connected, but don’t be distracted. Carry a car charger for your mobile phone, and tune to reliable radio stations for road condition updates. If you are using a traffic app, don’t be a distracted driver. Let your passenger monitor the digital media, or pull off the road if you need to check it
- Stay home! If it isn’t absolutely necessary to drive in icy conditions, stay in.
These winter driving tips are provided by Cory Watson Attorneys. While following these tips can help keep you safe, it’s important to remember that a car accident can’t always be avoided. That’s why it’s vital that motorists be aware of what steps to take following a traffic collision as well.
Our Alabama car accident lawyers have been helping injury victims for more than 30 years and are always available to provide free legal consultations. If you or someone you love has been injured in an Alabama car accident, call (877) 562-0000 or contact us online today.
Alabama Car Accident Resources
Cory Watson Attorneys has created this guide to provide our clients have all of the information they need after a car accident in Alabama.
Our comprehensive overview of the most frequently asked auto accident questions. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free cosultation today.
The moments after a car crash can be a blur. Do you know what to do after an accident? Cory Watson Attorneys has the answers to help you.
Click here to read more about Birmingham, Alabama auto accidents. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free consultation today.
An Alabama highway accident often results in large medical bills and suffering. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free consultation today.
An overview of tailgating accidents and how to prevent them from happening. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free consultation today.
Texting and driving can cause serious injury or death in Birmingham. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free consultation today.
A comprehensive overview of common types of car accident injuries. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free consultation today.
Whiplash injuries can result from even the least serious car crash. Contact Cory Watson Attorneys for a free consultation today.