You might receive a financial recovery for a car accident in Birmingham. Liable parties could cover medical care, pain and suffering, and other damages.
A Birmingham car accident attorney from Cory Watson Attorneys will lead your case. Don’t wait for help, as you may have limited time to seek justice.
How Cory Watson Attorneys Will Lead Your Car Accident Case
Depending on the severity of your accident, you may have a lot of treatment ahead of you. We handle every step of the legal process, allowing you to rest and recover. Every car accident victim has a story. We’ll speak with you, your loved ones, and your doctors to find out:
- How your car accident happened. Learning the facts about what led to the collision can provide valuable information concerning who was at fault. It also helps us defend against accusations from the defendant that you caused the crash.
- The injuries you’ve suffered. The severity and type of wounds you sustained will significantly affect the compensation we seek on your behalf. By way of example, a broken leg is likely to result in more substantial monetary damages than a bruise.
- The treatment you’ll need. The medical intervention you require for your injuries will also affect how much compensation you can pursue. Juries tend to award higher monetary damages when a car accident victim must undergo invasive or painful procedures, like extensive surgeries and physical therapy.
- How your injuries have affected you. People do not always recuperate to the same level of function and comfort as before an accident, even after completing all their prescribed treatments. You might have to endure chronic pain, weakness, stiffness, or decreased range of motion at the injury site. Also, physical wounds can cause psychological trauma.
We will obtain any evidence or documentation in your possession. Following our initial fact-gathering, our team may perform these tasks.
Seek Evidence of Your Accident
Video footage and witness accounts may show how your collision occurred. These can be compelling evidence in your case. For example, red light cameras might have captured valuable footage about the accident’s cause, the vehicles’ speed, and the position of each car.
We will also obtain a police report and any other relevant evidence. For example, if a law enforcement officer came to the scene and wrote a report, that document could contain data like an assessment of fault and the damage to each vehicle. Sometimes, police reports have factual errors, but we can ask the officer to file a supplemental report correcting any relevant mistakes.
Document Your Losses
Car accidents can produce different losses for each victim. Therefore, we will detail the nature and extent of your losses by:
- Obtaining medical records and bills. Your medical records can link your injuries to the accident and establish that the collision caused your wounds. Your medical bills will detail the financial loss you experienced to get your injuries treated.
- Recording testimony from those who’ve witnessed your losses. People who saw the crash happen can help establish fault. Also, your family members and friends might be able to testify about how much pain you’ve suffered and how the economic and other losses have affected your life.
- Obtaining proof of lost income. We can gather payroll records from your employer to show how much income you lost when you could not work because of your injuries. If you earn less money now because of limitations from your injuries, the before-and-after employment payroll records can help to establish that loss.
- Procuring invoices for vehicle repairs. In general, a person whose car got totaled will get treated as having a more traumatic experience than one who had a fender-bender with only scratches on the bumper. Still, it is possible to suffer severe injuries from a low-impact collision.
- Recording mental health professionals’ evaluations of your trauma. People can develop chronic depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a disturbing experience like a car crash with catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
We will obtain any other available proof of your damages. The actual documents and other evidence will depend on the facts of your car accident case.
Hire Investigators, Experts, and Specialists
Our firm won’t fight your case alone. One of the greatest perks of hiring Cory Watson Attorneys is our network. Medical experts may testify about your injuries. Accident reconstruction experts may digitally recreate your accident. Investigators may help us obtain every relevant piece of evidence.
A car accident attorney from our team will lead your case and guide you through your legal options. We don’t hesitate to identify legal resources who can help your case in Birmingham.
Defend You from Insurance Companies and Attorneys
Insurance companies might contact you in the days following your accident, but you should be cautious. Insurers might:
- Pressure you to accept a settlement. Quick settlement offers usually don’t reflect the actual value of your claim. Unfortunately, people who accept early settlement offers might realize when it is too late that the money does not fully cover their medical expenses. Thus, they’re left having to pay some of these bills out of their pocket for a wreck that someone else caused.
- Pressure you to accept fault for your accident. They could claim to have an eyewitness who will testify against you, even though the insurance company’s policyholder was at fault.
- Delay a settlement. You might have a clear case of liability in which the insurer has no defense, but they want to hold on to their money as long as possible. They do not care how much financial pressure you face or how badly you need the money.
- Intimidate you with legal tactics. The insurance company can use confusing legal terminology to make it sound as if it has a stronger case than it does.
- Act in their own best interests instead of yours. The insurance company makes a profit when it pays less on claims than it receives in insurance policy premiums. Its executives answer to their shareholders, not to the people who get hurt by the insurer’s policyholders. They are more interested in resolving a claim for a low amount than paying what you deserve.
Be wary of the other party’s attorneys as well. Our car wreck lawyers in Birmingham will protect you from rights violations and fight to get you the most compensation possible.
File and Resolve Your Case
When we accept your case, we intend to finish your case. As your personal injury attorneys, we will initiate your accident claim:
- File your case. If appropriate, we will resolve your case with the insurance company instead of through the courts.
- Submit all necessary paperwork. If you try to handle your Birmingham car accident injury case by yourself, you will have to do all this work alone. When Cory Watson Attorneys handles your injury claim, we can do the legwork and prepare the many documents needed in a personal injury case.
- Communicate with other parties. It can be stressful to get badgered by the claims adjuster and the at-fault party’s defense lawyers. However, you can direct them to us once you hire our team. We’ll take care of all the phone calls, emails, and other forms of communication with the other side’s representatives.
- Negotiate a settlement. We will work with you to determine a fair settlement range for your claim. We can then handle the negotiations with the insurer on your behalf.
- Go to trial if necessary. Most personal injury cases settle without having to go to trial. However, if your case needs a judge or jury to resolve it, we can handle the trial for you.
Ideally, you will start working with us from the beginning of the process. That way, we can shape the course of your claim and have the best chance of achieving a favorable outcome.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Birmingham, call 877-562-0000
Our Birmingham Car Accident Lawyers Can Ease Your Mind Following a Crash
A car accident lawyer will help answer your questions about what happens after a crash and how much money you might be entitled to. We strive to be one of Alabama’s top personal injury law firms!
Your ability to recover depends on several factors, including the extent of your injuries and the type of vehicle involved. If you are injured, you may qualify for financial compensation. When we start the personal injury claims against the responsible party, we generally successfully get you fair compensation for your injuries and property damage.
Find out if you qualify for it by speaking with an experienced auto accident lawyer in Birmingham. Ask them questions about your case and legal options, such as filing a lawsuit against the driver responsible for causing the collision. Be sure to ask questions during the free consultation.
Birmingham Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
We Identify Liable Parties and Fight for a Fair Recovery
Human error is a common cause of car accidents, per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Our team will identify any driver errors that caused your accident, including common types of motor vehicle accidents such as:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk or drug-impaired driving
- Head-on collision
- Dangerous lane changes
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failing to adjust to dangerous weather or road conditions
Vehicle defects, pedestrian interference, and other conditions may also cause accidents. Such conditions may affect liability. We’ll identify any party who owes you compensation.
Car Accident Cases in Alabama Are Based on Negligence
Negligence is defined as failing to use reasonable care. Reasonable care is generally used to determine how much responsibility someone has for something that goes wrong. For example, if you are driving down the road and a pedestrian steps out in front of your vehicle, you are negligent if you fail to avoid hitting him. You did not take reasonable precautions to prevent the incident from happening.
The same principle applies if you are involved in a car accident. If you cause another person harm while operating a motor vehicle, you are liable for that harm unless you prove you exercised reasonable care under the circumstances.
If you are convicted of a crime, you may receive jail time, probation, fines, restitution, or some combination thereof. However, none of those punishments change the fact that you committed a criminal offense. As long as you remain criminally liable for your actions, you are still responsible for causing injury to others.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Frequently Asked Birmingham Car Accident Questions
The following are common questions our lawyers and staff answer for our Birmingham car accident clients. If your answer isn’t here, give us a call. We can help.
Why Hire a Birmingham Attorney to Fight for You?
If you are involved in an automobile accident, hiring a Birmingham personal injury lawyer is important. This legal representation can help protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation. If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
A qualified Birmingham car accident attorney can help determine whether you qualify for financial compensation under Alabama law. They can also assist you in negotiating a settlement with the responsible party’s insurer. Many people don’t realize they can file claims against their insurance provider, even if another policy covers them. Your attorney can explain your options and advise you about filing a claim.
An experienced attorney can help you better understand how much money you could potentially collect. For example, an attorney can provide information regarding your entitlement to workers’ compensation benefits. In addition, he or she can tell you how much money you could possibly collect from the responsible party’s liability coverage.
Does Our Firm Charge Upfront Attorney’s Fees?
Cory Watson Attorneys is a client-first law firm. We’re most concerned with your health and financial recovery. Therefore, our fee structure puts no financial strain on you. That’s because we understand you might be missing paychecks while you recuperate and that having to come up with upfront attorney’s fees might be challenging right now.
Therefore, we use a contingency fee arrangement in car accident injury cases. You’ll pay nothing upfront or out of pocket. You only pay our fee if we win your case. Finally, with this fee arrangement, our fees will be a percentage of the settlement or jury verdict.
If you deserve justice, we’ll provide the legal help—a lack of money will not prevent you from getting the assistance you deserve. If you do not win, you do not owe us any money for legal fees.
Do You Need to Obtain a Copy of the Police Report of the Collision?
You can request a copy of the accident report if you want. However, it’s not necessary. Instead, you can rest and focus on healing from your injuries while we take care of time-consuming matters like this on your behalf.
If the police did not come to the collision scene, you would want to let us know immediately. Alabama law requires people to self-report crashes under certain circumstances.
Does It Matter How Soon You Get Medical Attention After a Car Accident in Birmingham?
Absolutely. The sooner you get a professional medical assessment, the better. If possible, go straight from the accident scene to the emergency room or urgent care center.
Here are some of the reasons you will want to see a doctor right away:
- You might have injuries that have not yet developed symptoms. For example, a person with a brain bleed might not have external indications of the injury until they are in a medical crisis and have suffered brain damage.
- Your wounds might be more severe than you realize. Whether you have a high pain tolerance or still have adrenaline in your system that can mask pain, you could experience complications without prompt medical treatment.
- If you wait too long to get a medical examination, the at-fault driver might suggest that your injuries didn’t arise from the collision. Instead, they might argue that your injuries were from some other event.
- Getting prompt medical attention can make connecting your wounds to a car collision easier. For instance, the medical records will show whether the injuries were fresh or old.
- Injuries tend to heal better when a person receives medical treatment right away.
- Continuing to engage in everyday activities before getting an injury examination could result in further injuries to your wounded areas. It also bolsters the at-fault party’s claims that your injuries were not severe.
- Some injuries could develop complications like infections without prompt medical attention.
- Without supporting medical records, the jury will only have your testimony about the severity of your injuries. Unfortunately, it is human nature to expect exaggerations without objective proof, so the jury might not evaluate your injuries fairly if you do not see a doctor.
Finally, your medical records can establish the medical bills you incurred to treat your wounds. That expense is an essential component of the financial value of your personal injury case.
How do We Prove Liability for Your Car Accident?
Most car accidents have their grounds in negligence, meaning that someone was merely careless and did not mean to hurt you.
Let’s say that you got injured in a crash with a drunk driver. The driver might have intended to drink alcohol, but they did not do so for the purpose of causing you harm. So, here is how we would establish the drunk driver’s liability:
- The defendant had a duty of care to drive safely and follow the rules of the road.
- The defendant violated that legal duty when they drove while impaired by alcohol. A violation of a legal duty of care is negligence.
- The negligence must be the accident’s cause. In this example, the drunk driver crashed into your vehicle because the alcohol physically and mentally impaired their ability to drive safely.
- You suffered measurable losses in the accident. Your physical injuries satisfy this element.
We can establish the defendant’s liability by proving all four factors.
What Are Recoverable Losses in a Car Accident Case
Losses vary from case to case. Our team will determine the cost of your:
- Property damage, which couldinclude your vehicle and its contents.
- Medical care, including ambulance rides, hospital visits, diagnostic tests, prescription drugs, blood transfusions, and physical therapy.
- Counseling, medications, and other treatments for the emotional trauma you suffered from the collision.
- Lost income, if you missed paychecks or self-employment income when you could not work while recuperating from your injuries.
- Diminished earning power, if residual problems like pain and disability keep you from making as much money as before the accident.
- Treatment for traumatic brain injury, if you require weeks or months of inpatient or outpatient specialized care after a head injury.
- Temporary transportation, if you cannot drive yourself because of your condition.
We’ll identify and value any other damages you’ve experienced. We’ll identify losses from wrongful death if you’ve lost a loved one. Your case may involve existing and future damages.
Is Alabama a No-Fault State?
No-fault states are those where you do not need to show that the defendant was negligent to win damages. These states allow injured parties to recover compensation regardless of whether someone else’s fault caused the accident. In contrast, fault-based states hold drivers responsible. For example, under California law, a plaintiff must prove that the defendant was negligent—that he did something wrong—to collect damages.
In the United States, most states follow one of three models:
- Pure tort
- Pure comparative negligence
Pure tort states apply strict liability, meaning that everyone involved in an automobile collision is liable for his or her actions. Under pure comparative negligence, each party is held accountable for his or her part in causing the accident. Hybrid states combine elements of both systems.
The difference between pure tort and pure comparative negligence is fairly straightforward. If the court decides that the defendant was negligent, the jury will assign percentages of responsibility to each party. Then, the total amount of damages awarded to the plaintiff will be based on the percentage of negligence attributed to him or her.
Finally, a no-fault state like Alabama does not require proof of negligence. Instead, plaintiffs can recover damages even if the defendant was not found guilty of wrongdoing. However, the plaintiff still needs to prove that the defendant was legally liable for the injury.
Common car accident injuries include:
- Neck injury
- Severe injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Internal injuries
- Bodily injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Noneconomic damage
Six Things to Do After a Birmingham Car Accident
Birmingham car accidents happen every day, and it’s important to know what to do and what not to do after one occurs. Here are some tips that may help you avoid getting into trouble while dealing with a car accident.
- Stay calm. If you are involved in a car accident, don’t panic. Remain calm and follow directions from emergency responders.
- Call the police. Contact law enforcement officials as soon as possible following a crash. They will want to speak with witnesses and collect evidence.
- Take photos of the scene. Document everything around the crash site, including skid marks, vehicle damage, and debris. These photos could prove useful later.
- Get medical attention immediately if you suffered an accident injury. Even minor injuries require immediate treatment. Keep copies of all your medical bills. Let someone else take over driving. You might feel like you need to drive home, but letting another driver take control of the wheel is best. This way, you won’t make mistakes due to fatigue or stress.
- When you get home, report the incident to insurance companies. A report must be filed within 24 hours of the collision. Insurance claims adjusters often ask for documentation such as photographs, witness statements, and police reports.
Finally, if you have not already done so, you might want to contact a Birmingham car accident attorney. Make sure you hold on to any evidence from the accident and the emergency room so you can share it with your lawyer.
Five Traps to Avoid After a Birmingham Car Accident
Some things can affect the settlement value of your injury claim after the crash. Here are five things to avoid, so you protect your right to compensation:
- Apologizing to other people at the accident scene. Here in Alabama, manners are important, but they can backfire on you after a collision. You might intend to express compassion to other drivers and passengers, but they might twist your words into an admission of fault in causing the wreck.
- Talking to anyone other than the police at the accident scene. You will need to exchange insurance and contact information with the others at the crash site, but do not get chatty.
- Providing a recorded statement. If the claims adjuster asks you to give one, politely decline and provide them with the name of your attorney. We can tell them all the information they need. Recorded statements let the insurer take your words out of context.
- Posting about the accident on social media. The insurance company will likely get access to your posts and photos. You do not want to give them material they can twist and use against you.
- Assuming the insurance company has your best interests. Realize that the claims adjuster’s job is not to get you a fair settlement. That is our job.
Many other pitfalls could leave you with less money in your pocket at the end of your injury claim. However, our team will help you avoid these dangers and fight for the compensation you deserve to maintain your financial situation.
Cory Watson Attorneys Represents Car Accident Victims in Birmingham
Your car accident case is the chance to:
- Hold liable parties accountable for dangerous actions
- Obtain the financial relief you deserve and need
We take cases like yours seriously. Winning your case could help your recovery and improve your quality of life. So, what could hire Cory Watson Attorneys to represent you do for your case?
We’ve represented injury victims and their families for more than 38 years. No case is too great or small for us—when justice is necessary, we serve. Though we have a national reach, our roots lie in Alabama. We can lead your case in Birmingham.
Our Past Clients Endorse Cory Watson Attorneys
You should not hire a car accident attorney without reading client reviews. Our clients speak highly of our attorneys and support staff:
- “This has been the most amazing firm I have come into contact with.” – Ashley T.
- “I cannot thank them enough for their professionalism, kindness, and expertise.” – Tracey W.
- “They helped us navigate through difficult legal issues. The entire staff is very knowledgeable and professional. The dedication and time Cory Watson took to resolve our issues have left us forever grateful.” – Joe T.
- “The compassion that’s shown is above and beyond.” – Shannon K.
We respond to clients’ every question and concern. Expect us to return emails and phone calls promptly. Cory Watson Attorneys will handle your legal needs so you can get better.
Call Cory Watson Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
We work hard to get results for our clients. A car accident attorney from our team will fight your legal case from start to finish. We’ll provide case updates, so you can receive treatment in Birmingham or surrounding areas for as long as needed.
As an Alabama-based firm, Cory Watson Attorneys proudly serves our community. Contact our team today for a free consultation. We’ll answer your questions, introduce our firm, and help you start your case.