For our firm, community, and nation, 2021 brought new sets of challenges and obstacles. It marked a year of perseverance, resilience, and growth following a tumultuous 2020. Ultimately, we reflect on the year with gratitude for the opportunity of another year with our loved ones.
The Cory Watson family remained dedicated and committed to our community and our clients. We are thankful for the opportunity to look back on many positive memories and milestones that prevailed despite uncertain times.
Our firm takes great pride in the following key moments from 2021:
- Cory Watson Attorneys welcomed Hunter Phares and Akira Watson to our team of personal injury and class action attorneys.
- Six Cory Watson attorneys were named B-Metro “Top Flight Lawyers”.
- Seventeen Cory Watson attorneys were ranked in the 2021 Super Lawyers class.
- Twenty Cory Watson attorneys were recognized by 2022 Best Lawyers in America.
- Nina Towle Herring was named to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Elmiron litigation in New Jersey.
- Andy Jones was named to Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Paragard litigation in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Cory Watson Attorneys was recognized in National Law Journal’s Top 100 Verdicts for winning a $50 million verdict in the Ohio C8 water contamination case of Abbott v. DuPont.
- Attorneys J. Curt Tanner and Drew Herring were named to Birmingham Business Journal’s “Next Gen Law”.
- Cory Watson was ranked in 2022 “Best Law Firms” By U.S. News – Best Lawyers in four practice areas – Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions, Personal Injury Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, and Medical Malpractice Law.
- Cory Watson was named a Birmingham Business Journal “Veteran-Friendly Employer”, one of just three Birmingham-area employers honored.
- Two Cory Watson employees, Matthew Stephens and Adrien Amero, were named to Birmingham Business Journal’s “Veterans of Influence”.
- Cory Watson Attorneys’ founding Principals and Managing Shareholders Ernest Cory and Leila Watson were named to Birmingham Business Journal’s 2021 Who’s Who in Law.
Despite the challenges of the pandemic affecting access to justice, Cory Watson Attorneys still filed nearly 750 individual lawsuits nationwide, 4,200 claims in mass tort litigation and asbestos bankruptcies, and opioid class action lawsuits for 488 cities and counties. We completed 150 depositions, and more than 50 mediations, and settled over 1,500 claims, including national class actions in the opioid litigations.
For a free legal consultation, call 877-562-0000
Overall, Cory Watson Attorneys has won over 25,000 cases across the country, securing more than $3 billion in groundbreaking multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements. We have succeeded time and time again in improving the safety of products for consumers worldwide, and our attorneys are determined to continue doing so in the future.
Giving back to, and engaging with, our communities remains a pivotal focus and priority at Cory Watson. This year, we celebrated 12 Days of Giving through 12 individual donations and philanthropic initiatives across the Birmingham region.
Here is a glance at the community organizations and initiatives that the Cory Watson team has supported in 2021:
- Black Law Students Association – The University of Alabama School of Law
- First Light Center for Homeless Women and Children
- Laura Crandall Brown Foundation/Ovarian Cancer Research Alliance
- Magic City Bar Association
- Magic Moments – Wish Granting Organization for Children
- Restoration Academy
- St. Rose Academy
- Children’s Hospital Sugar Plum Shop
- TumTum Tree Foundation
- United Way of Central Alabama Community Crisis Fund
- Vestavia Hills City Schools
- Ronald McDonald House
- Mitchell’s Place – A Comprehensive Autism Treatment Center and Early Learning Preschool Program
- Ben F. Jones Chapter of the National Bar Association
- Corporate Partner in Holy Family Christo Rey Catholic High School Work Study Program
- The Birmingham Zoo
- Kitty Kat Haven and Rescue
Additionally, our attorneys and staff have donated long hours and thousands of dollars of support to many other community non-profit agencies, most of which focus on children, education and making Alabama a great place to raise a family.
The Cory Watson family is profoundly thankful and honored for another year to serve our clients. We look forward to serving our community and fighting for justice on behalf of our clients in 2022 and for many years to come.