Rideshare options like Uber and Lyft have become incredibly popular over the past few years in and around Memphis. It’s also a great option to avoid driving while intoxicated if you’ve been having a good time on Beale Street or you don’t want to worry about parking.
As these ride-hailing apps have increased in popularity, so have the number of vehicle accidents and sexual assault incidents during Uber and Lyft rides. If you experienced such an accident, a Memphis rideshare accident lawyer from Cory Watson Attorneys can guide you through the often complex claims process.
A Rideshare Attorney Can Represent You
Rideshare laws in Tennessee are complex, and navigating the process of filing a claim against a rideshare company and its driver can be tricky. Plus, you may only have one year to file a lawsuit in Tennessee if your accident is the result of negligence.
That’s why you should consider hiring a rideshare accident lawyer from our firm to represent you in Memphis. Our firm can help you:
- Gather evidence regarding the incident
- Build a strong case to prove liability
- Advocate for your rights as a victim
- Negotiate for a worthwhile settlement
The team at Cory Watson Attorneys has won more than $3 billion across many types of personal injury cases, including general car accidents and rideshare accidents. In addition, we are a contingency fee firm, meaning we don’t get paid unless you do.
Statute of Limitations for Rideshare Accidents and Incidents
If you’re involved in a vehicle accident as the result of negligence, Tennessee Code § 28-3-104 gives you only one (1) year from the accident to sue. If you’ve been sexually assaulted in a rideshare vehicle, you also have one (1) from the date of the incident to file a civil claim against the driver and the company.
You can work with a rideshare accident attorney to understand your rights, how the statute of limitations applies to your specific case, and what you can do to seek justice.
For a free legal consultation with a rideshare accidents lawyer serving Memphis, call 877-562-0000
How Rideshare Differs from Regular Vehicle Incidents
The operators of common carriers have a duty of care to provide a safe environment for passengers. In addition, the vehicle itself must go through routine inspections and maintenance to make sure it’s safe.
However, rideshare vehicles are not considered common carriers, so their duty of care is not the same level as bus drivers or other public transit operators. Our Memphis rideshare accident lawyers can work to prove that your rideshare driver had a duty of care to you and failed to uphold it, if they are the negligent party in your case.
Memphis Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
Hold Negligent Parties Accountable for Your Rideshare Injury
Multiple parties may be held accountable for a rideshare injury or incident, including:
- The rideshare driver
- Another driver involved in the accident
- Municipal organizations, such as those responsible for maintaining roads
- The rideshare company
Rideshare accidents often happen because of negligence, either on the part of the rideshare driver, another driver involved in the accident, or a combination of other factors. Examples include:
- Distracted driving, such as excessive chatting with a rider or using a smartphone while driving
- Aggressive driving from the rideshare driver or other drivers on the road
- Unsafe maneuvers or disregarding traffic laws from the rideshare driver or other drivers on the road
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which the rideshare driver or another driver involved in the accident can do
- Lack of vehicle maintenance or malfunction, which the rideshare driver may be liable for
- Lack of road maintenance or increased hazards
Experiencing Sexual Misconduct While Using a Rideshare Service
Another incident that can occur during a rideshare ride is sexual misconduct. According to Uber’s own safety study released in 2019, there were 3,000 reported cases of sexual misconduct, including unwanted advances or touching, assault, and rape.
The driver and the rideshare company may be liable for your injuries and trauma. An attorney well-versed in the complex nature of rideshare incidents in and around Memphis can help you navigate this legal process.
How Much Is Your Rideshare Accident Case Worth?
No personal injury case is the same—especially rideshare accident or incident cases. In some cases, you may be covered under a rideshare company’s million-dollar insurance policy. However, the circumstances of the incident that impacted you, the severity of your injuries, who is responsible for the incident, and many other factors can affect how much you can recover for damages.
Types of Damages
You may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills, including ER visits, treatments, surgeries, physical therapy, psychotherapy, etc.
- Future medical treatment for long-term or lifelong conditions
- Lost wages for time off to recover from the incident, future lost wages for unpaid time off, short-term disability, or long-term disability leave, and loss of ability to work
- Loss of a loved one, as well as their financial and emotional contributions to your family
- Pain and suffering, including loss of enjoyment of life, lasting symptoms of trauma, not being able to do the same work or hobbies, and other negative effects on your life
Common Rideshare Incident Injuries
Rideshare accidents can lead to these and other minor and severe injuries:
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Lacerations and bruises
- Broken bones and sprains
- Psychological conditions, including PTSD
In the worst cases, a rideshare accident can result in the death of a loved one, whether they’re the driver or the passenger.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What to Do After Being in a Rideshare Accident?
Follow these steps if you’ve been involved in a rideshare incident to ensure you have the best possible chances of having a strong case and getting the settlement you deserve.
- Call 911. If you are able, call 911 so emergency medical services and the police can process the scene and treat you, the driver, and anyone else involved in the accident. If you feel unsafe during your ride, such as you’re experiencing unwanted sexual advances, you can use the emergency button on the app to alert authorities and the company of the danger.
- File a police report. When the police arrive at the scene, explain what you remember of the accident without speculating or giving excessive details and file a police report.
- Document the accident. Write down everything you remember about the incident, including what the driver did, what you did, and what other drivers did. If applicable, get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident or incident.
- Seek medical attention. If you suffered injuries, you should see a doctor or go to the hospital right after your incident. That way you can have your current injuries documented and establish a record in case any other injuries appear in the days or weeks after the incident.
- Speak with a rideshare accident lawyer. Our team can get to work right away to collect evidence, build a case, and represent you during negotiations and—if necessary—court.
Trust Cory Watson Attorneys With Your Rideshare Incident Case
Our lawyers at Cory Watson Attorneys know how rideshare companies handle accidents and incidents of sexual misconduct in Memphis. We can advise you at every step of pursuing a case against the parties that caused your pain and suffering or your loved one’s death.
Contact us to get a free, no-obligation case evaluation by calling or filling out the online form.