If you were hurt in a collision, a Memphis bicycle accident lawyer could help you go after the compensation you deserve from the party who caused your bike crash. There are many beautiful places to ride a bicycle in Memphis, but unfortunately, cyclists must share the road with cars and trucks in many of the same spaces.
When a car runs a bike off the road, or a motor vehicle collides with a bicycle, the bicyclist typically bears the brunt of the injuries. Cyclists do not have the same amount of protection as occupants of motor vehicles. Bike accidents often cause severe or fatal injuries to the bike rider. If you have suffered injuries in a bicycle accident in Memphis, we can help you get the recovery you need.
How Much Compensation You Could Go After for Your Bike Accident Injuries
There is no typical amount of financial compensation when a person wins a bicycle accident injury claim because every injury case is different. The money damages you might recover depend on the unique facts of your situation.
Here are some of the common categories of compensation people pursue after sustaining injuries in a bike accident:
- Medical expenses: Usually, you can recover a reasonable cost of the medical treatment. These expenses can include the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, surgery, doctors, pain management, and physical therapy.
- Long-term care: If you suffered a catastrophic injury from a bike crash like head trauma or spinal cord damage, you might be unable to live independently. The long-term care costs can be a part of the plaintiff’s injury claim.
- Lost wages or lost future wages: You might have missed paychecks when you could not work because of your injuries. Or you might not be able to make as much money as you did before the accident if your injuries leave you with ongoing impairment, like chronic pain, weakness, or a loss of function.
- Pain and suffering: This category is separate from the payment of your medical bills. Pain and suffering money damages encompass the physical discomfort and emotional distress experienced because of the accident and any injuries.
- Other intangible losses: Although they might not have a fixed value, these losses affect the quality of your life, such as disfigurement from scars, loss of enjoyment of life because of ongoing impairment, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) from the crash.
When you speak with our representative, be sure to discuss how the accident and your injuries have affected your life. You might be eligible for additional money damages.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Memphis, call 877-562-0000
How You Can Afford a Memphis Bicycle Accident Lawyer to Handle Your Injury Claim
We do not charge any upfront legal fees when handling personal injury cases like bike crashes. We use a contingency fee arrangement on these cases, which means we wait until the end of your case to receive a percentage of the settlement proceeds or jury award. In other words, we do not get paid until you win.
Memphis Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
Who Can You Sue for Your Losses from a Bike Accident?
Whoever was at fault in causing the accident could face a lawsuit seeking an award of money damages for your losses. Here are a few examples of parties who could be liable for a bike crash:
- The driver of a car, truck, bus, or another motor vehicle who collided with you or ran you off the road
- Another cyclist who crashed into you or forced you off your path
- A government agency that failed to maintain safe conditions of streets or bike paths
- The organization responsible for designing or installing unsafe bike lanes
These are only a few examples of potential defendants in a bicycle accident injury case. There may be additional people who could be held liable for your losses, depending on the facts of your case.
Common Causes of Bicycle Crashes
Most bike accidents happen on public streets where motor vehicles operate. Here are some of the more common situations in which bicycle collisions happen:
- Dooring: A dooring accident happens when someone inside a vehicle opens their door without looking first and strikes a bicyclist.
- Cars driving in bike lanes: Even with designated bike lanes, a car might have to cross over the bike lane to turn or access a parking spot. A car might strike a bicycle if the driver is not careful and does not look for the cyclist.
- Cars refusing to share the road with bicycles: Some drivers may fail to leave sufficient space between their vehicle and bikes.
- Distracted drivers: Drivers checking their cell phones or adjusting their radios may be unaware of a person on a bicycle until it is too late to avoid a collision.
If you were injured in a bike accident in one of these scenarios or some other situation, you might want to talk to us as soon as possible. Our Memphis bicycle accident lawyer can build your case while you recover from your injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Time You Have to File a Lawsuit for Compensation After a Bike Accident
According to Tennessee’s statute of limitations, TN Code § 28-3-104, you only have one year to file a lawsuit seeking money damages from a bicycle accident. After that deadline passes, Tennessee law bars you from holding the negligent party accountable for your injuries or other losses. Please do not delay in reaching out for help with your injury claim.
See Our Results
We are proud of the results we have secured for our personal injury clients. We achieved:
- a $10 billion settlement for Roundup weed killer cancer litigation clients
- a $25 million jury verdict for Nissan faulty brakes
- a $10 million jury verdict in a wrongful death lawsuit
There are many more victories for the people we are honored to represent. We hope you will allow us to represent you as well.
Contact Us Today for a Free Case Evaluation of Your Accident Case
Call Cory Watson Attorneys today for a free case evaluation at (901) 402-2000. There is no obligation when you call. We can review your Memphis bicycle accident case and let you know how we can help.