All motorists in Alabama must have auto insurance—but many don’t. If you’ve been in an accident with an uninsured motorist, there are ways to recover compensation.
A Birmingham uninsured motorist accident lawyer from Cory Watson Attorneys will help you. We will review your insurance policy and identify your options for a financial recovery.
Minimum Auto Insurance Coverage in Alabama
Alabama is an at-fault state for auto insurance purposes. This means that every motorist must have auto insurance that covers the victim’s damages. If someone is at fault for an accident, their insurance should cover the damage.
Per the Alabama Department of Insurance (ALDOI), non-commercial motorists must maintain:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 in property damage coverage per accident
Of course, a motorist without any auto insurance has none of this coverage. In this case, you’d ideally have uninsured or underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage in your own insurance policy.
Will Your Own Insurance Policy Cover Your Losses?
Alabama’s at-fault insurance system generally requires the at-fault motorist to cover accident-related losses. Motorists can protect themselves with uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage in their own policy. If you have this type of coverage, then you can file a claim with your insurer. We can do this for you.
If you don’t have UM/UIM coverage, then you may consider filing a lawsuit. You may also sue if your losses exceed your UM/UIM coverage limits. The at-fault motorist may be among the defendants in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured motorist accidents lawyer serving Birmingham, call 877-562-0000
A Motorist Who Drives Without Insurance in Birmingham Is Negligent—You May Sue Them
Those who pay their monthly premiums may find it hard to understand uninsured motorists. That’s because uninsured motorists are acting unreasonably. They are breaking the law and exposing you to great financial harm. Unreasonable behavior is the standard for negligence. Therefore, uninsured motorists are negligent.
Our team may prove the negligence of an uninsured motorist by:
- Showing that they owed you a duty of care (all motorists in Alabama owe a duty of care)
- Proving that they breached that duty of care by driving uninsured (and by causing your accident)
- Showing that the breach of duty of care caused you damages
When proving negligence, our attorneys may cite the defendant’s other negligent behaviors. Acts like speeding, tailgating, and driving distracted are generally negligent. The defendant’s negligence may make them liable for all your accident-related losses.
You Can Count on Our Lawyers To Handle Your Case
You may not have dealt with an uninsured motorist before. A lawyer serving Birmingham from Cory Watson Attorneys will lead your case from start to finish.
We deal with both UM/UIM insurance claims and lawsuits. We have recovered more than $3 billion for our clients. Our team will seek the recovery that you’re entitled to.
Birmingham Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-562-0000
Recoverable Damages in an Uninsured Motorist Accident Case
We will survey all your damages following your accident. Cory Watson Attorneys generally seeks coverage for all of a client’s damages. In your case, we may seek coverage of:
- Vehicle and property damage: You likely have some degree of vehicle damage from your accident. We will seek coverage for repairs. We’ll seek coverage for damage to other personal property.
- Pain and suffering: An accident in Birmingham may traumatize you, cause significant pain, and diminish your quality of life. We’ll seek appropriate coverage for your pain and suffering.
- Professional damages: Lost income, diminished productivity, lost earning power, and other professional damages are generally recoverable.
- Medical expenses: Medical expenses can pile up quickly after a car accident. We’ll seek coverage for surgery, hospitalization, doctors’ visits, rehabilitation, and all your other medical costs.
In tragic cases, uninsured motorists cause the loss of life. We will seek appropriate coverage if you’ve lost a loved one in an accident in Birmingham.
What Is an Uninsured Motorist Accident Case Worth?
We value each uninsured motorist case independently. The value of a specific case may depend on:
- The types of injuries you suffer
- The severity of your injuries
- The monetary cost of damages
- Your recovery period
- The extent of property damage
- How you respond to treatment
Your damages could be ongoing. You may need medical treatment for the foreseeable future. We’ll project the cost of your future losses so that you don’t have to pay out of pocket for any damages.
Why Choose Cory Watson Attorneys for Your Case?
Our firm has a strong presence in the Birmingham area. We know how to investigate and resolve cases in the city. Our passionate attorneys have more than 38 years of combined legal experience. We don’t hesitate to hire experts, investigators, and other parties who may aid in your case.
View our case results to see how we’ve won big for our clients.
How Will Cory Watson Attorneys Resolve Your Uninsured Motorist Case?
We take the legal approach that we think best serves you. In most uninsured motorist cases, our team can:
- Identify the at-fault motorist: The at-fault motorist is generally liable for the costs of an accident.
- Review all insurance policies: We will review your policy to see if you have any applicable coverage. We’ll also confirm that the at-fault motorist does not have applicable insurance.
- See if another party is liable for your accident: Even if the at-fault motorist can’t cover your losses, another liable party—like their employer—may also be liable.
- File and complete a lawsuit: If insurance won’t cover your losses, we’ll file a lawsuit as soon as possible.
- Seek a fair settlement: We will handle all settlement negotiations for you.
- Go to trial: If we don’t settle, trial remains an option.
We’ll start your case with a singular mission in mind: covering the financial cost of your damages. While we’ll have a strategy in place, we remain flexible to the twists and turns of your unique case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Cory Watson Attorneys for Your Complimentary Consultation
You deserve a law firm with proven results and a strong knowledge of Jefferson County, Alabama. Cory Watson Attorneys doesn’t care how large or small your case is. If you need legal help after an uninsured motorist accident, we are here to assist.
Call Cory Watson Attorneys today at (205) 328-2200 for your FREE consultation. Call as soon as you can. We may have a limited window to file your case.