D. Brett Turnbull
Co-Chair, Complex Litigation Practice
T: (205) 271-7121
F: (205) 324-7896
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan
Brett Turnbull has embraced that philosophy in distinguishing himself as a leading trial lawyer, recognized for his jury verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients killed or injured by the negligent and wrongful actions of others. When he goes before a jury, he realizes he has one job; to get justice for his client by proving the claims and guiding the jury to award a fair and reasonable verdict.
Respect for individuals and for the justice system led Brett, a graduate of the University of Alabama, to pursue law studies at Cumberland School of Law. There, he discovered early on that his true passion was trial law. As a class leader, Brett won national recognition for his trial advocacy skills.
That leadership track has continued throughout Brett’s legal career, and he gives back to his profession by serving in leadership positions with the Alabama Association for Justice, Alabama State Bar, and Southern Trial Lawyers Association. Brett has more than a decade of successful courtroom experience in complex litigation, including trucking cases, products liability, automobile defects, pediatric burns, traumatic brain injury and nursing home malpractice.
Brett and his wife Dawn have been married for 13 years and have four children, Brett, Arden, Miller, and Bess. When he's not in the courtroom, you can find Brett and his family outside playing their favorite sports: baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, and tennis. They also enjoy taking time out of their busy schedule to relax at the lake or the beach for a weekend. The Turnbulls are active members at South Highland Presbyterian Church here in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Alabama Bar Association
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Claims
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court – District of Colorado
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, 2013-Present
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- Super Lawyers, 2013-2016, 2018
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2011-2012
- Alabama Association for Justice – Emerging Leaders Section Chair (2014), Trial Contributor, Executive Committee, Speaker at both Emerging Leaders Seminars and AAJ Statewide Seminars.
- Alabama State Bar – Young Lawyers Section, Lawyer Referral Service, Young Lawyer Executive Committee (2006)
- Birmingham Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section, Jefferson County Lawyer Mentoring Program
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association – Alabama Board of Governors (2012-2013)
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- University of Alabama, Bachelor of Science, International Finance
- University of Alabama, Bachelor of Arts, German